Monday, April 14, 2008

Here We Go...

As of tomorrow, my blog will officially be "public." I am going to tell a few friends about it, and see where it goes from there. Until now, I've only told 3 people -- my husband, my mom, and one of my oldest friends -- so, I was able to see if it was something that would work for me. There was no stress about whether or not I was posting things that were important or meaningful...

When I originally told my mom about my blog, she said, "Oh, I don't think I could ever do a blog. I don't like the idea of putting myself so "out there" for the world to see." Her comment got me thinking: Why exactly am I doing this? Why start a blog? I haven't fully been able to answer this yet in my own mind, much less in the public arena of a blog.

What I do know is that like many of my freinds, I am trying to find an outlet for expressing myself. My group of friends is made up of lots of former career-women: many of us have chosen to leave our careers (either temporarily or permanently) to begin families. My cohorts are lawyers, teachers, nurses, entertainment industry professionals and social workers. We are of various ages and ethnicities, not to mention that we are spread out across the country. But what unites us is our desire to DO somthing. Our need to be involved. Whether we serve on committees or we enroll in classes to further our education, we are not sitting back and letting life pass us by.

That is why I started this blog. I do not want life to pass me by. There are too many people to meet, too many sights to see, and too many things to do. And, in this case, too many things to write about! I have only just begun...

1 comment:

Rob said...

One of the things I have found about having a blog, being on Facebook, and being on Twitter (which you can use to update your Facebook Status) is that putting yourself out there for your friends to see is really great. It allows us all to stay in touch with what is going on with friends on our own time - we don't always need to pick up the phone to know what is going on in our friends' lives - we just check their blog. It's not a replacement for a phone conversation or getting together - but it fills in the gaps and allows for a flow of information you might not otherwise get, depending on what you post.

--*Rob